When Death Occurs Checklist
- Contact the funeral director so they may return the deceased to the funeral home.
- Alert family members and close friends.
- Notify the deceased’s place of employment.
- Make sure dependent children or relatives are cared for.
- If there are pets, arrange for their care.
- If necessary, remove valuables from the decedent’s residence, make sure it is secure, and appears occupied.
- Arrange for disposal of perishable food and existing refuse.
Locate Important Documents
- Social Security Number
- Cemetery Deed or Lot & Section Numbers
- Prearrangement Paperwork
- Military Discharge Papers (DD214)
- Insurance Policies
The Funeral Director will need the Deceased’s Vital Statistic Information in order to complete the death certificate.
- Decedent’s First, middle, and last name
- Home Address
- Social Security Number/ Date of Birth/ Place of Birth
- Marital Status
- Spouse’s First, Middle, and Last (Maiden) Name
- Father’s Name
- Mother’s Maiden Name
- Military Information