History of Perry-McStay Funeral Home
Continuing a tradition of service and trust
Mr. Joseph Perry began the Perry Funeral home in October of 1941 in its original location on Warren Avenue in East Providence. In October of 1974 he became affiliated with James P. McStay and they relocated the business, now named the Perry-McStay Funeral Home, to 2919 Pawtucket Avenue where they remained until 1985.
It was in 1983 that they broke ground at our current location and built a modern facility all on one level with no stairs to climb.
Joseph Perry, Jr. retired shortly after building the new facility at the age of 76 in April of 1988. Mr. Perry had served in the Rhode Island House of Representatives for a period of ten years from 1956 to 1966. He was married to the late Mary (Capello) Perry. Mr. Perry was dedicated to helping newly arrived Portuguese immigrants obtain jobs, learn the English language and assisting them in dealing with the different government agencies in their new land.
James P. McStay is a native to East Providence, having spent his youth in the Riverside section of the city and his adult life in the Kent Heights neighborhood of East Providence. He was elected to the Rhode Island State Senate in November of 1984 and served six terms. Mr. McStay retired from the State Senate in 1996. He is married to Cheryl (Burke) McStay and they have two daughters and one son.